Islamic-Life - Bringing Dawah back to Life

Sayings of Umar ibn Al-Khattab Radhiallahu Anhu

This is a discussion on Sayings of Umar ibn Al-Khattab Radhiallahu Anhu within the Heart Softeners forums, part of the Islamic Worship and Fiqh category; `Abd Allah ibn `Isa ibn Abi Layla related: "There were two dark lines in `Umar?s face marked by tears." Al-Hasan al-Basri and Hisham ibn al-Hasan ...

As-Salamu 'Alaykum (Peace be upon you)! Welcome to the Islamic-Life Forums

Islamic-Life Forums is a Muslim community dedicated to Islamic discussions, Islamic Dawah, Islamic articles, Islamic responses/refutations to Islamic misconceptions and Islamic-Life Forums presents correct understanding of Islamic way of life to both Muslims and Non-Muslims. You can also download free Islamic books, Islamic video and audio lectures, Islamic nasheeds. To gain full access to Islamic-Life Forums you must register for a free account. As a register member you will be able to:
  • Participate in discussions, start new topics and vote in polls
  • communicate privately with other members (PM)
  • upload books, nasheeds, pictures, videos etc. and help Islamic-Life staff with their Islamic projects
All this and much more is available to you absolutely for free when you register for an account, so join our community today! If you are unfamiliar with forums' features or a new visitor then find answers to your questions in our FAQ. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Islamic-Life - Bringing Dawah back to Life
Go Back   Islamic-Life Forums > Islamic Library > Islamic Worship and Fiqh > Heart Softeners

Tags
alkhattab , umar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 03:22 PM

Way of life: Muslim
Default Sayings of Umar ibn Al-Khattab Radhiallahu Anhu

`Abd Allah ibn `Isa ibn Abi Layla related: "There were two dark lines in `Umar?s face marked by tears." Al-Hasan al-Basri and Hisham ibn al-Hasan narrated that `Umar sometimes lost consciousness after reciting a verse from the Qur?an, whereupon he would be taken ill and visited for days. Among `Umar?s sayings:

"O Allah! Grant me to die a martyr, and make my death be in your Prophet?s country."

"Take account of yourselves before your are brought to account."

Anas said: "I heard `Umar say as he was alone behind a wall: ?By Allah! You shall certainly fear Allah, O son of al-Khattab, or He will punish you!"

Jabir said that he heard `Umar ibn al-Khattab say on the pulpit when he married Umm Kulthum, the daughter of `Ali and Fatima: "Do not disparage me [for marrying a young girl], for I heard the Prophet say: ?On the Judgment Day every means will be cut off and every lineage severed except my lineage.?" He desired to place himself in the Prophet?s lineage through this marriage due to the precedence of Ahl al-Bayt in the Prophet?s intercession. Umm Kulthum bore him two children, Zayd and Ruqayya.

From `Amir ibn Rabi`a: "I saw `Umar pick up a straw from the ground and say: ?Would that I were this straw! Would that I were nothing! Would that my mother never bore me!?"

From `Ubayd Allah ibn `Umar ibn Hafs: `Umar was see carrying a slaughtered animal on his back. He was asked why, and he replied: "I was infatuated with myself and wanted to humble myself." Al-Hasan narrated: "`Umar gave a sermon when he was Caliph wearing a waist-wrap patched in twelve places."

As `Umar?s head lay in Ibn `Umar?s lap after his stabbing he said to him: "Lay my cheek on the ground." Then he said: "Woe to me, my mother?s woe to me if my Lord does not grant me mercy!" The next morning al-Miswar woke him for the dawn prayer. `Umar rose saying: "Yes, and there is no part in Islam for whoever leaves prayer." He prayed bleeding from his wounds.

From Malik al-Dar: The people suffered a drought in `Umar?s khilafa, whereupon a man came to the grave of the Prophet and said: "O Messenger of Allah! Ask for rain for your Community, for verily they have but perished." After this the Prophet appeared to him in a dream and told him: "Go to `Umar and give him my greeting, then tell him that they will be watered. Tell him: Be clever!" The man went and told `Umar. The latter said: "My Lord! I spare no effort except in what escapes my power."

From Mujahid: "We found that the goodness of our lives was patience."

From `Urwa ibn al-Zubayr: "Know that greed is poverty and despair sufficiency. When a man despairs of something, he does without it."

From al-Sha`bi: "By Allah! My heart has softened for Allah?s sake until it became softer than butter, and it has hardened for Allah?s sake until it became harder than stone."

From `Awn ibn `Abd Allah ibn `Utba: "Sit with the Oft-Repentent (al-taww?b?n), for they are the softest-hearted of people."

From Aslam, `Umar?s freedman: "Be the vessels of the Book and the well-springs of the Science, and ask Allah for your sustenance day by day."

From Abu `Uthman al-Nahdi: "Winter is the treasure of devotees."

From Dawud ibn `Ali: "If a sheep dies on the shore of the Euphrates I fear lest Allah ask me to account for it on the Day of Resurrection."

From Yahya ibn Abi Kathir: "If it were announced from the heaven: ?O people! You are all entering Paradise except one,? I would fear to be he; and if it were announced: ?O people! You are all entering the Fire except one,? I would hope to be he."

From al-Aswad ibn Hilal al-Muharibi: When `Umar was made Caliph he stood on the pulpit and said: "O people! I am going to invoke Allah, therefore say ?m?n. O Allah! I am coarse, so make me soft, and I am stingy, so make me generous, and I am weak, so make me strong."

From `Abd Allah ibn `Umar: "[After `Umar?s death] I saw a palace in my sleep, and was told it belonged to `Umar ibn al-Khattab. Then I saw him come out of it, wearing a cover as if he had just bathed. I said: ?How did you fare?? He said: ?Well, although I would have fallen from my place if I had not found a forgiving Lord.? Then he asked: ?How long since I have left you?? I said: ?Twelve years.? He said: ?I only just finished rendering account.?"

al-Dhahabi, Siyar A`lam al-Nubala? 1/2:509-565 #3; Shibli Nu`mani, `Umar The Great 2:336-338.

Commentary: The opinion of the Companions of the Prophet (PBUH) was based on the information contained in the Ahadith which have been mentioned above. They did not take the Ahadith which interpreted the leaving of Salat as Kufr mere scolding or reproof. They considered slackness and negligence in Salat as Kufr and apostasy and regarded Salat a symbol of Islam.

#ADS  
Ads

Old 06-14-2008, 10:19 PM
♥ Makkah wal Madinah ♥

masha Allah radhiAllahu 3anh, if someone could explain this insha Allah:

Quote:
From Malik al-Dar: The people suffered a drought in `Umar?s khilafa, whereupon a man came to the grave of the Prophet and said: "O Messenger of Allah! Ask for rain for your Community, for verily they have but perished." After this the Prophet appeared to him in a dream and told him: "Go to `Umar and give him my greeting, then tell him that they will be watered. Tell him: Be clever!" The man went and told `Umar. The latter said: "My Lord! I spare no effort except in what escapes my power."
ya3ni a man went to the grave of the Prophet 3alaihi salat wasalam and asked him for rain for his ummah? is it me or how is that possible?

jazak Allahu khair 4 sharing.

!اللّهمّ أرجعني إلى بيتك الحرام
Old 06-17-2008, 03:04 AM
♥ Makkah wal Madinah ♥

anyone bi ithnillahi ta3ala?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Light Upon Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Amanah View Post

ya3ni a man went to the grave of the Prophet 3alaihi salat wasalam and asked him for rain for his ummah? is it me or how is that possible?

The authenticity of this hadith is varied among scholars and it is related to the topic of tawassul. There are different types of tawassul. I personally stay away from tawassul through dead people and ask Allah (swt) directly and find this to be the safest option.

'So let each individual examine himself and take advantage of his time, for indeed the resting place (i.e. this world) is short, the (time for) departure is near, the road is hazardous and deviating from it is common. The danger is great, the one who takes note has wisdom, Allah, the Most High, is watching over, and to Him is the (final) recourse and return.'
Old 06-17-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Amanah View Post

i have provided sourcing for my quotation.

As for its authenticity Allahu A'lam.

Assalamu Alaikum

Commentary: The opinion of the Companions of the Prophet (PBUH) was based on the information contained in the Ahadith which have been mentioned above. They did not take the Ahadith which interpreted the leaving of Salat as Kufr mere scolding or reproof. They considered slackness and negligence in Salat as Kufr and apostasy and regarded Salat a symbol of Islam.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:10 AM
♥ Makkah wal Madinah ♥

ok jazakom Allahu khair.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Sayings of Umar ibn Al-Khattab Radhiallahu Anhu

Is it possible to get the arabic for the quotes of Umar ibn al Khattab in particularly where he says "account yourself before you are accounted"?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Sayings of Umar ibn Al-Khattab Radhiallahu Anhu

asalaam alaikum

Quote:
Originally Posted by al amaanah

a detailed refutation of the text itself;

Narration of Malik al Dar, evidence for Tawassul by the living & not by the Prophet after his death � Topics and Replies
http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/archi...php/t-146.html

i.e. the man is unknown who did this act [the narrations which say it was bilal aren't authentic i think], so how can we take him as an example?

read the link for more info.